Friday, June 22, 2012

Aphasia

Some of you may remember the "Little scare" I had in March.  It turned out it was a migraine and that is all I was told.  No one seemed too sure and never said they had seen it before.  So, as I was watching Good Morning America on Tuesday (6-19-12) morning, I got to hear it happening to someone else.  Dave Barnett is a baseball announcer and he had the same thing I did during the baseball game.  If you haven't heard about this, check it out.

Texas Ranger's announcer "Dave Barnett"

So, this worried a lot of people and everyone thought he was having a stroke.  I was told that also and that is why I had an MRI.  So, this actually has a name APHASIA.

Dr. J Mocco said that in the medical community, it's called "word salad" -- like a tossed salad but with words. "There are different types of aphasia, where you have slurred speech. Then there are aphasias like he (Dave Barnett) had, where you substitute words that don't make sense. His brain is thinking of the right words, but they come out wrong," Mocco said.

It is so weird hearing from other people exactly what I was experiencing.  I thought I was crazy!  It also happened to a reporter before the 2011 Grammy's.  It is almost scary how just watching her brings it all back and how scared I felt at that time.  I don't know if my students realized what I was saying, but one of my colleagues, Danita, heard it all first hand.

2011 Grammy's "Serene Branson"

I hope this doesn't happen to me again, but at least I know now that I am not alone. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is crazy! I hope it's just a one-time thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very crazy; especially when you saw it on TV. Helps explain things.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...