Monday, June 13, 2011

American Flag and Letter Blocks

A while back I found a blog that I found very interesting. She has lots and lots of craft ideas that are reasonable and even a person like me can do them!!! It is called Brownpaper-Packages. The first project I wanted to do was an American Flag made on Beadboard. I love 4th of July, so I thought it would be great.


We got the beadboard at Home Depot. Matt then cut it into 16x20. So, I can make two!




Measured the square. Start from the left and measure in 9". Then go down four lines.



I painted the Santa Red lines first and then the Vanilla. I had to do a couple coats to get it even. The beadboard is smooth, so it doesn't stick as well.


Then I painted the Navy Blue square.



I drew a star on a piece of paper to use it as a stencil. I used the same Vanilla paint to paint it onto the blue square.


All the paint is done and now it is ready to be distressed.



I used sandpaper all over the board and then I went over it with Distress Ink. I really like how it turned out!



Another idea I found on Brownpaper-Packages was making block letters. I changed the sizes a little because Matt had wood scraps in the garage. I am also going to do the project that was listed. I have a perfect spot in my living room (a nook by the ceiling) that I will display the seasonal blocks. Matt will cut 4x4 posts for me soon, I hope!



I really wanted to have our name somewhere in the house, so I just started. There wasn't a lot of money into it, so if I didn't like them it wouldn't be a big deal.


First, I painted all 7 blocks brown (2 coats). Then after they were dry, I sanded down the sides and corners to make it look older (distress).



This was probably the time consuming part. On Brownpaper-Packages it says to use a sander. I don't have one, so I did it all by hand. It worked just fine.




I used stencils I bought at Hobby Lobby. I painted them cream with a foam brush. I made sure I taped down the stencils so they didn't move.


Finished blocks. I made them to put here on the kitchen wall.



I got black shelves at Kohl's. There are two other little shelves on the other side of the star.



I am pleased how they turned out. Thank you again for the wonderful ideas Brownpaper-Packages.

3 comments:

  1. They look awesome! I love that blog!! There are so many crafty blogs out there that I'm overwhelmed with project ideas that I want to do too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love em! I still need to come visit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...