Saturday, August 6, 2016

Our son is here! Beckett's birth story

The time has come for us to finally meet the newest member of our family: 
Beckett Raymond Elsbury!!!!!

I will start from the beginning :)

I had a doctor's appointment on Monday, July 25th.  At the appointment, Steinke said I was 3.5 cm now and 50% effaced.  This was an improvement from a week ago for sure.  She could tell the baby was still a little high.  She asked me what I wanted to do.  What?!  She said it was possible to go in today and get induced.  Uhhhh, yes!  I was really uncomfortable at nighttime and had my sights set on July, so I was all for going in.  She called to make sure the birthing floor had an opening and they did!  5:00 pm, they would be ready for us.  So, I called Matt and he was so ready too.  He rounded things up at work and was home! :)
I picked the kids up from Heather's.  They looked at me like......what? we are having fun! Why are you here?  I told them they have to pack their bags for Grandma's house because Mommy was going to have the baby!  That got them motivated!

Here is our last pic of just mommy and the 2 kids!  So excited for baby!

39 weeks 5 days


Grandma Nancy came over to get the kids and we were off!  It is has been so surreal each time we have driven to the hospital for each of our kids.  You are ready, scared, nervous, unsure, anxious, happy, worried, in awe, and filled with love.  So many feelings consume you and it's very hard to explain.  

We were there at 5:00 and they got me all set up.  I had saline, antibiotic, and pitocin all going into my IV.  I know I have said I wanted to go into labor on my own, but I was so ready and I wanted Dr. Steinke to deliver my baby.  Although I didn't experience labor at home, this process was familiar to me and that was comforting to me. :)  I progressed slow that evening but progress was good.

My contractions would get 2 minutes apart and then spread out to 4-5 minutes apart.  The baby was still not low enough to break my water.  When the baby isn't low enough there is a chance that the umbilical cord would come out first and that isn't good.  So, they kept changing the dosage of pitocin up and down.  I didn't get any sleep that night.  My hands hurt, my back was sore in that bed, and oh yea the contractions were still coming often! :)  Matt was able to get some sleep, ha ha!  At 3:00 a.m. I was laying on my side and the contractions got harder.  My leg started to hurt, my teeth were chattering, and I needed to go to the bathroom.  I had officially hit the point of wanting an epidural.

The anesthesiologist was quick this time!  He was very good at his job.  My leg was still hurting (ugh!!!) and its my left leg.  Guess which side of my body the epidural didn't work.  Yep, my left!  Matt was massaging my left hip during contractions.  At 6:00 a.m. Steinke came to the hospital and he was low enough for her to break my water.  The nurse, Jenna, that had been with me the whole time was at the end of her shift.  She set up EVERYTHING because they knew Hudson was born very fast after my water broke.  I was bummed that she had to leave, but the next nurse, Denise was great also!  

Well, I didn't disappoint.  After my water was broke, my contractions picked up fast.  We were even talking about getting my epidural put in again for my left side but the nurse discovered I was already at 10 cm.  I pushed through 3 contractions with the nurse and was told to wait for Steinke.  She soon came in and the next contraction, BECKETT WAS BORN!!!  :)


July 26th @ 6:45 a.m.



They instantly helped me with skin to skin and I will never forget that sweet time.  Beckett was crying and as soon as I had him on my chest, he made the sweetest noises.  Aww, he's here!  I did it!  He's beautiful!  I wish I could bottle up that time and relive it.  :)

During the skin to skin, they weren't in a hurry to weigh and check him.  So, we were talking about how big we think he was.  I remember saying, "He is not as big as Lily was, I would say a little less than Hud."

I was wrong!
Lily was 9 lbs. 1 oz.
Hudson was 8 lbs. 10 oz.

Beckett weighing in at 9 pounds 2 ounces
21 inches
Head is 14.5 inches


Such a proud Daddy!

He is already wrapped around his finger.  So cute!

Getting checked out by Dr. Steinke under the heating lamp.

Daddy and Beckett's first picture

There are his beautiful eyes! :)

Bath time!



He loved it!

First time in clothes.  I prefer an outfit vs. the long white hospital gowns.  This way he looks good!

Matt went to get lunch and I got our first selfie! :)

Me and my sweet boy, Beckett! :)


Awww, what a great feeling!  I had prayed for a healthy baby and safe labor.  Thank you Lord for being with us during this time and keeping your arms wrapped around our baby boy.  Matt and I are in love already!!!  :)
Stay tuned for when Big Sister and Big Brother get to meet him! :)


2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh this makes my heart so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Elsbury family! So glad he is here and everyone is healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...