Saturday, April 25, 2015

Race for Grace ~10K~

Race for Grace
2015

On April 11th, I ran my first 10K (6.2 miles)!!!  I signed up months ago and had been excited for it.  It was good for me to have a goal.  Before the race, I had only ran 6 miles twice.  I was also nervous because a couple days beforehand I hurt my knee when running.  Could that be a sign that I am getting older?  I do like running now and what better way to run than to help raise money to help cancer patients in our area.  I was able to buy 'butterflies' with Grandpa, Grandma, and Mullen's names on them.  They had butterflies staked into the ground along the route.

The race started downtown GI by the Grand Theater.  I was amazed at all the people.  So many were dressed alike and supporting a friend or family member that has had cancer.  I hadn't slept well and in the morning, I was nervous.  I knew I could run it all, I just wanted to make sure my knee was okay. :)  It was time for the 10K runners to get in the chute.  They tell you to line up based on what you feel your run your miles in.  I found a spot by the 10 mins. :)  ha ha.  I know that is slow, but come on...I'm not in it to win! :)  Cari Cobler gave the opening speech which was very moving.  Prayers go to her and her family during her cancer battle.

Here is the course
I love when I can run and see new things.  I HATE when I have to repeat parts of the run or run it twice.  But, as I look at it I was like geez, it would take a little while to drive this let alone RUN!  Woah!  

Matt did take a few pictures while I ran. :)  What a guy!



Stretching my bum knee.  It actually was fine, but I did by a sleeve for it.

Can't really see me, but I am making sure my headphones are in.  MUSIC!!  I have to have my playlist on when running.  I look forward to running to listen to my music. :)

Blowing kisses to my fans. :)

This was a little after mile 3.

I am close....

Done!!!  I actually had a kick at the end.  I normally am same speed Sally.  I was able to pass a few people at the end. :)

Phew!  I am done and I ran it all under 1 hour.  That was my goal.
I found the Butterflies around the water station at mile 4.  What a great feeling to finish a race.  There was definitely a time during the race that I thought, "I am never doing this again!  Why did I sign up for this??"  ha ha

Love my family
Winnie (Grandma) ...lung cancer
Jim (Grandpa) ...lung cancer
Mullen (nephew) ...brain cancer

Cancer stinks!


My fans!!!!

The atmosphere was AMAZING!!!  They had wonderful items for the runners: bananas, gatorade, water, donut holes, granola bars, and bagels.  Everyone was happy and proud of one another, just a great vibe!


So, overall I was 203rd out of 580.
That is a lot of runners!!!




I am so glad I ran it under 1 hour.  I am proud that I ran it almost 4 minutes under.  My pace was better than 10 min/mile.  :)  I was 19th out of women in my age group.  Not bad for my first 10K.  I will most likely run it again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...